No announcement yet.

Building a 16' wooden Jon boat.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a true FLAT bottom boat. No ribs at all?
    Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

Al it will have some longitudinal rub strakes that will be added to the hull once the fiberglass is complete. I am planning on four strakes 1.5 inches thick. This will also greatly stiffen the bottom plywood.

For real time river and lake water levels, webcams, and info visit my website; http://www.texasriverdata.com
      Thanks!

Comment

It will track much better too. I know you are not new to boat building, but have you ever ridden in a boat with no strikes, not for the light hearted.

Comment

Lookin good Bud! What'cha going to hang on the back to push it around with Horsepower wise?

Comment

It’s been a while since I have updated the progress of my boat. Rainy weather has played havoc with my building schedule. The past couple of weeks I have been glassing and fairing the hull. I used 6oz. cloth over the entire hull exterior. I also used double layers of 4″ tape along all edges and seams. I gave the hull two coats of epoxy to fill the cloth weave, and then started the laborious task of sanding and fairing the hull. There is no easy way to do this but to get after the hull using 80gt. paper on a long board sander. After the hull is reasonably smooth, I used Quick Fill epoxy filler to level out some of the low spots which you can see in this photo;
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	189848

One item of note are the sharp chines on the last eight feet of the boat. The chines are initially rounded off to make the application of the fiberglass easier. Once this is cured I built up the chine to a sharp edge using thickened epoxy and milled glass fibers for strength. A sharp chine will make the boat considerably faster and drier. You want the chines to remain rounded and smooth in the forward part of the boat to prevent “tripping” on waves and crossing boat wakes etc. Here is a view of the transom and chine area to give you an example of what I am talking about;

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	189849

The built up area will be eventually sanded and blended in smooth with the hull sides.

Last thing to mention today are the addition of the bottom strakes as shown on the previous photo. These are constructed of yellow pine and screwed and glued to the hull. Once cured, the strakes were covered in 12oz. cloth tape to seal them from moisture. Yet to be completed is the addition of another strake on top of these. This strake will be sacrificial meaning it will be scraped up as the boat is used and meant to be replaced eventually. The strakes serve the very important purpose to keep the boat running straight and true and also add a great deal of longitudinal strength to the bottom of the boat.

I’ll post more pictures as work progresses!
            Bud

For real time river and lake water levels, webcams, and info visit my website; http://www.texasriverdata.com
            Thanks!

Comment

Your boat is lookin Great! Do you have a color scheme picked out yet?

Comment

I have finished the hull up to the point of painting. I added the final coat of epoxy with graphite powder added for abrasion resistance. The hull now sits in System Three epoxy primer.
                That's going to be all I can do for a few months probably as I need to build a carport before I can turn the boat over to finish out the interior.

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	189881

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	189882

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	189883

Here is the sample color that I will paint the hull...

Name:	35-960x640.png
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	189880

Thanks for reading and following along!
                Bud

Thanks!

Comment

Boat is looking really nice, won't be long and you will be getting it sliced up

Comment

Your boat is coming along nicely.
                    Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is usually a result of bad judgement.

Comment

Working...
                    X