Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 + Motorguide Xi5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 + Motorguide Xi5

Since I already had the Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2, I decided to get the Motorguide Xi5 trolling motor and it is already installed on my boat. I have ordered the Lowrance NMEA2000 starter kit and the Motorguide NMEA2000 gateway kit so I can link the Xi5 to the HDS7. I have already downloaded and installed the latest HDS Gen 2 software that supports the Xi5.

Does anyone else have the HDS / Xi5 setup with the NMEA2000 network? If so, do you have any advice / pointers to get the most out of this setup?
    Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is usually a result of bad judgement.

I bet you are pulling at the bit to hit the lake and try your new toys out............
    I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

No, not me. I have the older 1197 bird and it won't talk to my Ulterra trolling motor. I have had the ipilot for awhile and really use the anchoring in Livingstons deeper water. I find that it also is helpful when putting out jugs by yourself.
      "It's not the size of the fisherman in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the fisherman."

"A little white lie will get you in just as much trouble, so why not go ahead and tell a good-un."

"3 things you need to be successfull, a Wishbone, a Backbone and a darn good Funnybone!"

Comment

I don't have either but sure wish I did. Might be in my future. How did we catch fish 20 yrs ago without all the help we have now. Remember Loran C and flasher units?
        Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

I do remember where I came from. Sitting on a bank seeing your cork leaning, you knew that you were fishing a little too deep. The creeks are calling me again as I go further into my second childhood. But you know what, I do like all my gadgets and that comfy boat seat is really nice
          Last edited by Bird; 10-28-2015, 07:20 AM.
          "It's not the size of the fisherman in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the fisherman."

"A little white lie will get you in just as much trouble, so why not go ahead and tell a good-un."

"3 things you need to be successfull, a Wishbone, a Backbone and a darn good Funnybone!"

Comment

What is the advantage of having them linked?.

Comment

I have the NMEA2000 network installed and have played with it a little bit in the garage. I can control the trolling motor from the HDS. The commands that are available on the wireless pendant are also available on the HDS unit when they are linked. I can select waypoints saved on the HDS and command the trolling motor to go there and stay anchored there. I have not tried it yet, but I think I can select a saved trail or route on the HDS and command the trolling motor to follow it. Now I just need some decent weather on the weekend so I can go play with it on the water.
              Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is usually a result of bad judgement.

Comment

How often will you follow a rout with a trolling motor and not the big motor? Maybe it would benefit a bass fisherman to follow the hydrilla line in 15 ft of water. Just talking out loud.

Comment

I think it could be used to control speed and direction while drifting for cats if the wind is not cooperating or if I want to follow a creek channel. I also want to try slow trolling / spider rigging for crappie.

Comment

Working...
                  X