New to me Jon boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me Jon boat

Im going to start a project fixing up a Jon Boat I bought for river fishing. This is going to be an ongoing project so stay tuned.
    First up is to get the prop off the 60HP Johnson motor. The forward gear is striped so I need to pull it apart.
    Had to make a tool to get the prop off.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13972.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	842.7 KB
ID:	182609

Pulling it off

Name:	20150218_105803[1].jpg
Size:	871.2 KB
ID:	182611

That didn't work too good. It left the Hub that is rusted to the shaft.

Name:	20150218_111216[1].jpg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	182612

Out comes the knife to cut the rubber off the Hub then go to work with the dremel tool
    This is what is left

Name:	20150218_140400[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	182613

I still had to beat it off with a chisel and Hammer even after cutting it in half.
    Next up is to remove the lower unit. It came off pretty easy but looks like crap. Ears on the water pickup tube broke off on top of the water pump so I paid EBAY a visit for a complete pump assembly housing and all.
    to be continued........
    Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

I am going to enjoy this thread
    Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://copelandsconroecrappiefishing.webs.com/index.htm

Comment

how about pictures of the boat?
      I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

your attachments don't seem to be opening on my end?
        For real time river and lake water levels, webcams, and info visit my website; http://www.texasriverdata.com
        Thanks!

Comment

Some people seem to be having problems opening the pic's so I am going to try using the Pic window instead of uploading pic's
          Here is some shots of what I had to begin with.

Comment

Got the floor out of the front today and this is what it looks like under the wood.
            After I finally got the lower unit off this is what it looks like inside. Tried to remove the water pump and the bolts were corroded to the Water Pick up tube and broke it into two parts. No worries EBAY!. New complete unit will be here on the 27th. I tried to pull the bearing housing off of the prop shaft and when I went to remove the three bolts that hold it in two of them were already broken, only one holding it in. That means I will have to probably have to buy a retaining plate that have the bolts in it if I can't get them out. The forward gear is shucked is why I am pulling it apart.

Comment

I think that if you just add seeds you could have a garden. I'm betting that boat and motor will be looking like new soon.

Comment

Not tooo soon, too much work to do to it but it will get done eventually.

Comment

yep it will get done, Im sure!!
                  I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

I think you got a great deal on that boat! I agree with Rsumrall you will have it looking good when finished. You should be all ready to go catfish the Trinity river when finished
                    Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://copelandsconroecrappiefishing.webs.com/index.htm

Comment

I would suggest painting the inside white. Makes about a thirty degree difference between May, and October.

Comment

Boat looks GOOD! That's a perfect fishing boat for running lines. You got a very good deal! Make sure that foam under the floorboards is not water logged as it will add tremendous weight.I hope that you have a ball with that boat. Congrats!
                        For real time river and lake water levels, webcams, and info visit my website; http://www.texasriverdata.com
                        Thanks!

Comment

This is a work in progress. Just got the brochure from Lowe to show me what it looked like on the inside when built and it is pretty much stock
                          The foam is not waterlogged but I want to take it out anyway to check all the rivets, so it will get repalaced.

Comment

Fin what year is the 60 and is it a two cylinder? I have an 87 40 with a good lower unit two 17 pitch stainless props a brand new alum prop. 300.00 for all

Comment

It is an 83 Johnson 2 cylinder, I will check to see if they are compatible.

Comment

Working...
                              X