Colorado Trout Fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Trout Fishing

We took an extended vacation to the western slope of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. We had mapped out many different areas and were able to fish most of them. We fished for 6 days. We started by fishing the Alpine lakes of Grand Mesa at an altitude of over 10,000 feet. There is supposed to be 300 lakes, we fished 9 or 10 of them.
    The second day we fished the Gold Medal waters of the Gunnison River between Delta and Hotchkiss, CO. On the third day it was a lot of driving and different streams, creeks, rivers and a little bank fishing on the Blue Mesa Reservoir. On the fourth day we returned to the Gunnison River and on the fifth day we rented a pontoon boat on the Blue Mesa Reservoir. The sixth day was running and gunning on the Arkansas River.
    We had a great time, the weather was awesome and we ended up catching 8 brown trout, 7 or 8 Rainbows, 2 cut throats and 2 Brookies.
    I may be making a return in a few weeks, who wants to go?...Lawton

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barton Lake Grand Mesa.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	188434

Name:	BlueMesaRes8_14_16.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	188435

Name:	fishing Trickle Lake on Grand Mesa.JPG
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	188436

Name:	Twin Lake1 Grand Mesa.JPG
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	188437

Name:	TwinLake1 Grand Mesa.jpg
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	188438
    "Help won't help tomorrow, if you give up today. Just hold on a little longer help is on the way"

Sounds like an awesome escape!

Comment

That was a great getaway. I may have to add a trip like that to my bucket list.
      Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is usually a result of bad judgement.

Comment

Excellent pichers & look to be a very relaxing time....
        Where's your fly rod?
        90% of the crappie are in 10% of the lake & 10% of the fisherman will catch'em!

Comment

Sure is beautiful country.
          Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by silentkilla View Post
            Excellent pichers & look to be a very relaxing time....
            Where's your fly rod?
            I actually had 2 fly rod and reels with me, as well as a 3rd reel. I caught 2 cutthroats, and 2 brookies, as well as a few bows on the fly, yet spinners on casting reels were my goto rigs..Lawton
            "Help won't help tomorrow, if you give up today. Just hold on a little longer help is on the way"

Comment

Originally posted by Fin View Post
              Sure is beautiful country.
              No doubt about it being beautiful. The big douglas fir tress above 9,000ft smelled like Christmas, and man the wildlife was unbelievable...Lawton

Comment

ok...did ya'll boondock in the back country or stay in hotels along the way? back in the 70/80's we used to hunt and boondock in the high country above glenwood springs and I spent most of my time fishing more than hunting but I doubt if I could breathe the thin air now.......
                used to take the kids to a place called Fun Valley.....campground that had a hatchery and they turned trout loose each morning for you to fish for....needless to say we brought fish home after eating our fill of trout......we would gut em out, salt, pepper, butter the insides, wrap in tinfoil and throw them on the fire....kids still talk about eating fish for breakfast.....
                I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

Fishy: We didn't make it as for north as Glenwood Springs although that area is on my list. We rented a four bedroom home for six days in Crawford, which we felt like was central for our needs. We ate 4 fresh trout on our last day at the house, and they were indeed very good, just seared in a pan with a little butter. I am wanting to return in a few weeks and camp out in the Grand Mesa national forest, or the gunnison NF. Just need someone to travel with me and split cost...Lawton

Comment

Working...
                  X