Belton Juggin' Trip 10/09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belton Juggin' Trip 10/09

My brother from Connecticut came down for my daughters wedding and stayed a few extra days to visit, so I thought I would treat him to a brief Jug Fishing run on Belton Lake. It was his first jugging trip and I think he had a good time. We put in at the HWY 36 Bridge around the mouth of the Leon River. It had just rained the day before and the water was badly stained. Didn't have the time to go down the lake to clear water, so we put some jugs around the river channel and at the mouth of Owl Creek in about 25 - 30' of water. The bait was fresh cut shad and with the water badly stained, we didn't expect much, but did better than I thought we would. We used five hook jug lines and most of the fish we caught on the top two hooks. Here's a few pics for you:

Brother Ray on the jug. Note the stained water

Cut shad on a 5-0 Circle Hook

20# carp caught in the cast net

There's you a double!
    Juggernaut
    Let's go Fishin'
    Mt. 4:19

Even caught a small Flathead in 25' of water

The biggest one was this 8# Blue

We threw the jugs around mid-morning and brought them in around late afternoon. We had 5 or 6 hooks that had been slimmed and a total of about 8 catfish. Not too bad for such bad water conditions.
    Juggernaut
    Let's go Fishin'

Comment

Not bad at all Juggernaut. I'm sure your brother had more fun than sitting around the house reminesing. You can do that and catch fish at the same time. What do you think about the $15.00 for the out of state fishing license? What a rip off. I did the same for my brother last summer.
      Nice Pics and the right size kittys.
      Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

$15 for a day fishing licience is about what you'd pay for a movie and popcorn...I'd rather go fishing! I think my brother would agree. We were talking about that just the other day at lunch. Arkanasas charges $17 for an out of state licience that is good for a week! I wish Texas would follow their example.
        Juggernaut
        Let's go Fishin'

Comment

Way to go, Brian.....I wish my brother would take me fishin!
          I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

Fishy, I'll take you fishing anytime!
            Juggernaut
            Let's go Fishin'

Comment

When my son was home from the Navy last year, he got his liscense for free...seems as if ALL military personnel get theirs free. The state should give us old coots our fishing liscenses for free....after all, we've earned it by living this long!!:D

Comment

Originally posted by Juggernaut View Post
                Fishy, I'll take you fishing anytime!
                Thanks, Brian.......between you and netman and heycods and bearcat and NCFL and CT and Wayne and Weldon and John, I always have someone to take me fishin in a boat...you guys and gals are the greatest!

Comment

hey jugger that was some good pics ya shared with us fer sure glad you and yer brother got ta do a lil visitin on the lake and wettin the hooks together.... thanks fer sharing that with us...:D
                  GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL, LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!!!!!!!!!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination, there is no better time to be happy than...NOW!
                  - Anonymous

Comment

That's some beautiful Texas scenery and I like seeing it. You are right, that water looks pretty muddy! It was great to get the rain though. It looks like you and your brother had a great time and got to share some alone time together. Catching fish was your bonus and yall got some nice ones.
                    Born in Texas, grown in Texas. "Just" a "woman" that loves to fish and wants to get along with you fishing men!!

Comment

good run and good times.
                      Have a good`un
                      Life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer to the end you get the faster it`s goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_d5cFmFz4k

Comment

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone! I just got back from a deer hunting trip to Coleman County with my son, aka Catlauncher. We had a great time, but didn't see anything we wanted to harvest. It is always good to get some time with my son. We have been spending a good part of November the past 22 years hunting together. Has made for some wonderful memories. We are blessed and grateful.

We plan on going out there again next week for an extended stay and hope to throw some jugs on the Colorado River. We'll take some pictures and post them when we return.
                        Juggernaut
                        Let's go Fishin'

Comment

well good luck and i will be lookin forward to the pics have a safe trip
                          GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL, LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!!!!!!!!!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.

Happiness is a voyage, not a destination, there is no better time to be happy than...NOW!
                          - Anonymous

Comment

Enjoy your son, and treat him right. If you don't he might already have a nursing home picked out for you. LOL Quality time with family can not be replaced.
                            Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

Working...
                            X