Fishing the Gulf Islands National Seashore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing the Gulf Islands National Seashore

my #2 son that is retired from the Navy but still lives in Norfolk, Va and works as a Navy contractor called several weeks ago and said he was going to be working down at the ship building plant at Pascagula, Ms and asked me if I wanted to meet him up there for a couple of days fishing and visiting.....since I only get to see this boy once a year whenwe go visit him I said YES........got some reservations at the Davis Bayou Campground at Ocean Springs, Ms that sits on the shore of the bay of the national seashore......
    we met up with Doug on saturday nite after pulling our camper for 10 hours............ugh...........we built a fire outside and warmed up some venison chili Doug made before he came down......it was too late to get any fishing in that nite so we sit around and rehased old times......
    sunday we had reservations with a bay guide for that afternoon so Doug and I was up at 3am headed to the boat docks to do some pier fishing. they lock the gates at nite to the pier so we couldnt go there before 8am...........
    we fished until daylight and doug caught 2 reds....one legal and one too small but at least it was some action. we then went back to camp and fixed some breakfast.....after some eggs, bacon, taders and coffee for breakfast me and doug lit out for the fishing pier.........and the wind was howling at 30mph......we fished there for about an hour but didnt get a single nibble...........gr..........
    we back to camp for a break then proceeded to our place to meet our bay guide at 1pm...........we discussed fishing in this wind and the guide said the fishing wouldnt be very good but Doug wanted to fish anyway so off we went..............the guide was right....caught 3 drum and 3 trout with only 1 of them being keepers.......I was cold cold cold the whole time....we got back to the dock at 5pm and went back to camp.......
    monday morning we again went back to the boat ramp to fish at 3am and results were the same......wind was still howling and really killed the fishing but Doug and Igot some quality time in........
    Dougs wife and daughter came over monday nite and took us out to eat at a nice seafood restaurant.......afterwards we said our goodbyes....
    got up tuesday morning and headed back home..........
    intersting note is that my ford pickup gas mileage went from 17 mpg to 11 mpg.........
    see pictures below that we took....

more photos to come
    Last edited by fishy; 03-09-2017, 08:46 AM.
    I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

more photos

Comment

more photos

Comment

Comment

I drove 981 miles and spent $294.91 for gal.......I believe I got around `11 mpg on my ford truck......ugh

Comment

Don't matter the cost. You spent some quality time with one of your son's. Take every day you can get for there will come a day when you can't go anymore.
            Looks like that wind did put a damper on the catching, but that is a nice red Doug is holding.
            Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Fin View Post
              Take every day you can get for there will come a day when you can't go anymore.
              I believe Im almost there.........didnt matter if I was behind the steering wheel or in the passenger seat..........
              I squirmed and fidgeted the whole trip......cant do 10 hour road trips anymore......I for sure wont make anymore 3 day trips to virginia....
              Last edited by fishy; 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Fishy, glad you got to spend some quality time with your son. When they are that far away, every minute together is precious. My son who moved to Kentucky 22 years ago, moved back here last memorial weekend, lived with me for 3 months, until he found a church, he is a pastor. He now lives in Lufkin and we get to see each other a lot more.

Comment

Glad to hear that you had a good visit. Fishing takes second place.

Comment

Working...
                  X