East Texas 12/01/13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Texas 12/01/13

I have been frustrated to say the least with the way my hunting has been going in East Texas, the oil wells around me have changed the deers travel routes to pretty much not even come on the property.
    This year i did 4 food plots one came up very good, 1 sorta came up & the other 2 well I don't know what happened to them they just didn't come up.
    I have had 6 game cams out on different trails that all turned out to be hog trails; speaking of hogs I swear someone calls them & tell them I'm on my way & they better not be seen because other than their signs right now I could almost say I don't have hogs but all the pics say different.
    Anyway I hit my stand a bit later than I like Satdy mornin [5:35am] but didn't disturb anything & the mornin came alive as usual. Feeder goes off at 7am & I'm brite eyed & alert really only on the lookout for hogs, at 7:30a.m. I hear what sounds like a shot a few hundred yards away I thought hmmm FIL got something.....then another boom I'm thinking aawwwhh those ole hogs came in & he's lighting off on'em, slight pause boom & when this continued past 5 I was like theres no way thats my FIL shooting. Then the sound gets faster & faster until it's just a continuous boomboomboomboomboom & continued for 30 mins before I noticed hey no birds, no squrriels there is nothing that will put up with that noise before running a country mile away from it.
    I get out of my stand & get to the house to see my FIL's patience was a lot shorter than mine. We were talking ...I hope that thing don't blow us off the map, this was after right at an hour & a half this things was booming. After a few of the well workers go up the road the booming stops>
    Frustated yes i was!
    Satdy evening i did enjoy peace & quiet but again nothing other than the 15 squrriels that have become dependent on eating my corn.
    Sundy morning after a night of downing a few adult beverages I drag myself to my stand & had already made my mine up to get some of the best sleep to be had other than on a boat out in the middle of the lake.
    I watched the morning come alive, kicked my feet up & dozed off but something caused me to jump up, not knowing what I took a good look around...feeder, to my left, behind me, to my right & then back to my feeder to see this buck run under the feeder & taken a couple bites before he ran off like something spooked him.
    Within a few minutes I notice him father behind my feeder in some undergrouth that I could only see neck, head & antlers.
    Pull up my binocs & get a good look at him making the decision if this guy gives me a shot I'm taking him for a ride in the back of my truck, he's throwing his nose in the air taking big whiffs.
    I put the cross hairs on top of his throat patch & as he went for another good whiff I squeezed off a round dropping him in his tracks!!!!
    This isn't the biggest I've taken but he is the Biggest I've taken that wasn't all broken up & yes he's got a spot on my fire place!!!
    Here's a few pics:

90% of the crappie are in 10% of the lake & 10% of the fisherman will catch'em!

Couple more pics!

Comment

WTG SK! That hard work and persistence payed off. That's a very nice wall hanger!

Comment

Congrats SK, sure is a beautiful looking buck. Believe me I understand what you mean about deer movement being altered by clear cutting and everything else. I deal with the same also. Glad to see it payed off for you!

Comment

nice rack, SK..........glad to hear it finally paid off for you.......thanksfor posting!
          I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

So you getting a shoulder mount done?

Comment

Yeap getting him mounted!
              Thanks guys!

Comment

Nice one, Dont worry about the banging, they will have a workover Rig in to repair the damage next weekend that your off.
                Have a good`un
                Life is like a roll of toilet paper the closer to the end you get the faster it`s goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_d5cFmFz4k

Comment

Nothing wrong with that buck. Good pics.

Comment

What a dandy...great job silentkilla!

Comment

Dropped this dude off to get mounted yestday, getting MrWhitetail to do it for me. This guy has an amazing trophy room! Very nice to meet you!

Comment

Sweet buck! Congrats.

Comment

Feelings mutual SK.. will keep you updated on the progress

Comment

I got a text from Mr Whitetail today that my mount is ready to be picked up, Yessir was glad to hear that.
                            He sent me a couple pics & this mount is looking very good. Going to pick it up if I can get out of this place before the traffic gets terrible & I'll post up more pics.

Comment

Mr. Whitetail sure does nice work and much faster than most
                              Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X