Sabine Lake 10/30/2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabine Lake 10/30/2016

My son, Nick asked me to fry fish for a homecoming tailgate party at Lamar University in Beaumont Saturday afternoon. I fried 4 gallons of catfish fillets, 10 pounds of french fries, and a bunch of hushpuppies. As expected with college students, there were no leftovers. While I was in the area, I visited my sister and brother in law.

My brother in law took me out on Sabine Lake this morning. To start things off, it was foggy - pea soup kind of foggy. We got the boat in the water and discovered that he had a dead cranking battery. No problem we will just switch it with the trolling battery. Oops - trolling motor battery was dead too. I guess my bother in law will have to replace his 40 year old battery charger. He really wanted to go fishing, so he took the battery off his truck and put it in the boat along with a set of jumper cables. He got the motor started and we left the boat ramp. With the thick fog, we had to take it slow, but finally made to our first stop. We fished there a while without a single bite. After another slow boat ride through the fog, we set up at our second spot. I caught a 12" largemouth bass and that was the only bite we got there. Our 3rd stop was a bit more productive. On my second cast with a chartreuse Gulp swimming mullet, I landed this 25" red.

My brother in law caught this 23" red shortly afterwards on a dead shrimp.

I managed another 25" red before we called it a day.

Good judgement is a result of experience. Experience is usually a result of bad judgement.

nice going Charles

Comment

Good looking fish!
      Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://copelandsconroecrappiefishing.webs.com/index.htm

Comment

Nice trip Charles! Three pretty ones.
        Last edited by KHagen; 10-31-2016, 12:05 AM. Reason: Wrong smiley

Comment

Better than I did for sure.
          thanks
          Work fascinates me, I can sit and watch it for hours.

Comment

way to go chrles........is that a jar of Gulp I see in that picture? thats some good stuff if ya dont have live bait...
            I love to eat, fish and cook........not necessarily in that order

Comment

• cwhitney
              cwhitney commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, that is a jar of Gulp swimming mullet. That is what caught one of my reds.
          Working...
          X